This is one of my absolute favorite coaching exercises.
I have used it with individual clients and in workshops. It is an incredible tool for awakening and happiness.
This exercise comes with the belief that what makes us happy is usually free – and easy to do.
This inquiry helps you get in touch with what truly gives you joy in life. It asks you, just for a moment, to imagine that you are blissfully happy and feeling true joy – free and light of all cares and worry.
- Allow yourself 10-15 minutes of quiet time and write your answer in the form below.
- Don’t analyze just write! If your answers seem overly-simple, it’s a good sign.
- Feel free to add extra things to your list that come up in the days and weeks ahead.
- Think back to your childhood – what were you doing when you were most happy?
- Think about your 5 senses: sight, hearing, touch, feeling and taste – you could come up with one joy for each sense.
- Examples include hiking a mountain, cooking, watching out of your window or something completely different. Whatever it is – the things you write down will be unique to you.
Try it! It’s incredibly simple and powerful. Here is the list.
Now that you wrote your list, I wonder what you notice as you look at it.
What common themes, powerful messages or surprises can you see?
How easy are they to do?
Why do you think you don’t do them more often?
Perhaps you are already thinking of ways you can bring some of these ideas into your life.
To wrap-up write one specific action you will take to bring more joy into your life.
If it’s a repetitive action like dancing or writing, set a reminder for it, keep it in your calendar, put it on your daily TO DO list.